Traveling is a very enriching experience that leaves you with irreplaceable memories you will forever live to cherish. The breathtaking scenery, laughter while surrounded by friends and family, those morning walks on the beach watching the sunrise, the scuba diving moments interacting with turtles and exotic fish and those adrenaline-filled bungee jumps as you scream out your lungs are all moments we would love to relive again.
But with time memories are bound to fade and specific moments can be erased from our memory making it necessary to document them. There are several ways to do this, but this article discusses three that you should consider to document those moments so that you can reminisce and take a trip back memory lane whenever you want to in the future.
They say pictures speak a thousand words and rightfully so. Photography is one of the popular travel documentation ways with advancements in mobile phone technology greatly contributing to this. Gone are the days you needed a professional camera to take nice photos. All you need now is a good-quality phone and you can click away as you enjoy your trip.
But if you are the camera type, some of the best cameras for travel photography include the SONY a6000, Nikon Z 50, and Fujifilm X100F. These have been tried and tested and will give you nice clear photos.
If you choose photography as your travel documentation method, below are a few tips to make your pictures capture your moments better.
- Take a re-photograph. This is a photograph taken at the same place as previously iconic or famous photographs like those of the Eiffel Tower or the Giza pyramids.
- The journey to the destination. Capture moments along the way to your destination. Be creative on this. These can be moments on the train platform or your kids absent-minded or passed out in the back seat.
- Picture within a picture. If you can find great pictures in restaurants or even street art, include them in your photo.
- A picture of a stranger. You can randomly ask a stranger if you can take a picture of them. This will be a good memory of the place.
- Matching colors. If you can find objects matching especially, with your outfit that would create a good picture.
- Out of place. Consider taking moments when things appear out of place. Like in a market where everyone minding their business.
The difference between a good picture and a bad one is just millimeters, ensure you capture the right moments to document.
Journaling is also another fantastic way to document your travel events. Since the journal is done by you, you will be able to remember the moments vividly. If it’s food you can even remember its taste and aroma.
You can always journal when you get home from a trip but doing it during the trip when you are still excited will better capture the moment. You can carry a small notebook with you at all times where you can scribble down things, then at the end of the day while relaxed at your accommodation you can use it to comprehensively write about the day’s happenings.
Ensure you keep the journal creative and colorful so that it is fun for anybody including yourself to go through it even years later. It should not feel like reading a novel. Below are some ideas you can incorporate into your travel journal.
- Include food memories. These may include recipes or a sketch of a dish you enjoyed.
- Tell the stories your way. Don’t try to be like someone else.
- Have a message page. This is a page where people you interact with during the trip can write customized messages to remind you of the moments in the future. These can be about where you met them or even their contacts.
- Include stickers and brochures.
- Include foreign words in the journal.
Scrapbooking is also another great way to document your travel. You will require lots of photos, postcards, and assorted memorabilia like tickets to amusement parks, small souvenirs, or even coins to capture all those pleasant memories.
If your vacation was for several days consider documenting the activities in chronological order as opposed to having it with a themed layout. Below are a few tips to keep your scrapbook interesting.
- Create a two side layout for each location you visit
The left side of the layout can be for photos and other memorabilia, while you can use the right part for written entries.
- Include interesting facts about the locations
These may include facts that make the place interesting or facts not known by most people which can be educative. Other fun things you can include here are the country’s flag if it’s abroad, the currency, or staple food.
- Choose the best photos for the scrapbook
These should have recognizable landmarks, the best scenery, and your best moments. For every fun moment that you have lots of pictures, about two or three of the best should be the ones making it to the scrapbook.
Documenting your travels is the only effective way to ensure those memories live to tell the story. This article has discussed three popular methods you should consider the next time you hit the road for vacation. Choose one that you prefer and ensure the memories you create will forever remain with you.
For all your car rental needs during your trips visit Rental24h.com to get the best car rental deals. You will be able to compare car rental rates from the different USA car rental companies, and their different rental policies and get answers to questions like the minimum car rental age for young drivers, which states allow under 21 rental, and the various pick-up and drop-off locations you can choose from.