For various reasons, users do like to shift their data from Exchange 2010 to Office 365. The possible reasons can be:
- To use the Office 365 for data storage,
- The Exchange 2010’s reducing support due to the launch of newer versions.
- Difficulty in using the Exchange Server.
- Cost-effectiveness of Office 365 services.
- To gain the access to secure Office 365 cloud space.
Whatsoever be the reasons, if users like to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365, the given article is for them. Here we are going to give an account of two methods for the same. The two methods would be are as follows:
- Exchange Admin Centre Method.
- Professional Exchange to Office 365 Migration Tool Method.
Method1: Exchange Admin Centre
- Following this method to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365, users first need to export Exchange mailboxes to PST and import PST to Office 365. This method only works for online Exchange Server mailboxes and not for the EDBs residing in the local directory.
To perform an export process, the admin is required to get the permission for import/export as:
- Visit Exchange Admin and tap on Permissions.
- Assign two roles: “Discovery Management permission” and “Import-Export permission”.
- In Discovery Management, you will find two sections.“Roles” and “Member”.
- Create roles of Mailbox Export-Import and Mailbox Search under the Role section.
- Add your Admin ID in the Member section.
- Proceed for Import & Export permission
- Open it and add the Import/Export role under the Role section.
- Add the Admin ID in the Member section.
it takes about 24 hours to activate eDiscovery Management.
- When it activates, approach it and tap on ‘+’ to create a new search, provide a name, click on Specify Mailbox to Search > click on ‘+’ > Add Users.
- Click Next, “All Content” should be included.
- In the next wizard, press Finish.
- You will see that your query has been saved now
- Tap on the download icon.
- Open the downloaded file.
- It will be an eDiscovery PST Export Tool; browse the path where you want to save PST
- Now click Start; Your PST containing the chosen mailbox will save in the specified local directory.
The process does not end here, users need to upload the downloaded PST to Office 365. If they go manually they need to deal either with Network Upload or Drive Shipping Method. Conversely, they can also use the automated tool to import PST to Office 365. But why do we do this when we have a direct and effortless method to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365.
Drawbacks of Going Through the Manual Method:
- Using a manual method for exporting the Exchange mailbox requires users to have a sharable drive and permission for performing Import/Export.
- The Manual doesn’t provide a direct method to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365; users need to export the Exchange mailbox to PST first.
- The Manual method is quite complex where a single mislead in steps can lead users to lose their data.
- In the Manual method, if the interruption occurs in between the ongoing process, users need to start the process again from the very start.
- The PST corruption also remains a scenario as this method doesn’t facilitate users to splitting their resultant PST.
Method2: Professional Tool Method
In the professional tool list, Shoviv Exchange to Office 365 Migration tool is an efficient and secure tool to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365. Users simply need to download, install and open it on your system to go as follows:
Step1: click on Add Source icon.
Step2: From the appearing wizard, choose EDB file or Exchange Server Mailbox.
Step3: enter the EDB File or enter Exchange credentials and hit Finish.
Step4: click on Office 365 icon from the ribbon bar.
Step5: deal with the sub-folders and hit Next.
Step6: click on “Fetch all mailboxes from Office 365“, enter credentials, and press Next.
Step7: perform mailbox mapping and proceed.
Step8: use the filters option and perform folder mapping and email translation.
Step9: When you hit Next, the process will start, click on Finish when it ends.
Why the Automated Shoviv Tool is Preferred over the Manual Method?
- Users can add any number of mailboxes in a single row without being restricted on their sizes.
- Moreover, this tool prepares the preview of the added mailboxes with the original form and hierarchy. Users can approach their Exchange mailboxes from the left pane of the tool’s wizard.
- Users can comfortably use the filters of the tool to perform the migration with the desired items only if required.
- The tool facilitates users to perform the folder mapping and email translation feature.
- Shoviv tool essentially comes with the incremental export feature to resume the interrupted process from the last step.
We discussed the topic “How to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365”. The two methods are being described: the Exchange Admin Center method and using the professional tool. The manual method lacks so many features and comes with a complex path to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365. However, the Shoviv Exchange to Office 365 Migration tool is a robust and secure tool that does the process directly and speedily. If users like to use the tool before its purchase, can use it in the FREE demo for a fair evaluation.
For more informative posts visit now inflexguide